Friday, August 17, 2012

Scattered Texas Update

 It's funny how our new place is really only a 3-4 day drive south west, but everything is so different from the familiarities of Utah I nearly feel I'm in another country. Frighteningly, Wal-mart brings me some sense of reassurance- because it feels and looks the same as in American Fork. (Excluding the prices.) Everything's more expensive down here. What keeps throwing me for a loop, is running back to the store to pick up things like a 5lb bag of shredded cheese, or a large sized jar of  peach jam or pickle relish, and realizing they only stock the small jars here. Apparently no big family clientele in this place, ha!

I have to admit that as much as I love my girls, I am particularly self conscious with them in public, since I rarely see many kids. I feel eyes on me all the time analyzing their behavior or my parenting. People keep telling me I have my hands full  with two kids so close in age (2 1/2 years? really?) and while I do agree it has been busy, I remember thinking that about the moms with 4+ kids, not two!

Two Sunday's ago I was called to be the primary pianist....  Deja vu?! :)

 Grace is making some great new friends at church even though they are not necessarily her age, and it makes me so happy! She is very consistent about asking for people's names and always remembers them. She is SOOO much better at it than I.... sometimes I feel she is my cheat sheet!

My home still looks like an under construction, half unpacked, war zone....
It's driving me bonkers, but Jason is quite handy and prefers to do much of the construction work that needs to be done himself. Although it's going to take a while to post some pics because he's in and out of town frequently.

Here is a before and after pic since painting the cupboards.... although I'm still deciding on wall paint colors and putting up hardware, so I know it looks pretty white. :)


 I'm hoping to get some nice wood flooring in sometime too. This tile really gets to me. However, since it's over the entire first floor I let Grace ride her bike around the house. (no way do we want to play outside in this heat / nor with the kind of bugs in our backyard!) She frequently "drives" it to the dinner table and "parks" it, then gets back on to go play afterwards. I like that it helps get out her energy. Grace's vocabulary is increasing well and it is hilarious to hear how she thinks now. In fact the other day I was making her toast and when it popped she yelled out to me: 
                           "Hurry, go get it Mom! Get the toast before it runs away!" 
 And as I poured some flower food into a vase of roses she queried: "Does that make it spicy?"
 I truly appreciate her continually inquisitive nature.




 Katelyn is cutting three more teeth in about a two week period. So now you know what Kate's like these days. :) But we did get her a baby walker and she speedily circled around the kitchen counter probably 50 times the first night in glee. She grabs onto the handles, tilts her head back with a cheesy grin, and cruises like the "weeeeeeeeeeeee!" pig in that funny commercial.  (Oh it makes me laugh so hard!) She also prefers to follow big sister around and try to play with whatever said sister might be doing, much to Grace's dismay. So I am becoming quite the referee.


  All in all, it's been quite the experience. I can't say that I'm "loving" it yet- I've had some tearful meltdowns. But I think once the indoor craziness starts to disappear and I feel more acquainted with the area, this place could really feel like home. I do think the ward members are SUPER nice and I am so very, very grateful for them!

















9 comments:

Heidi said...

Thanks for the update, Rachel. The cabinets look great!!!! In the picture of Grace sleeping on the couch she is wearing one of the same dresses that Arianna has and loves! Arianna got a kick out of seeing it. She asked if Gracie was wearing her dress.

Allison said...

Hang in there girl! Soon enough the walls will be painted, the boxes unpacked, and new memories will be in the making. Hugs!

Julie said...

Wow. Texas is definitely it's own place. That and Texans are definitely their own people. I'm sure that once you feel more settled in your home you'll feel more comfortable in general. Your kitchen looks great so far! You're such a good decorator the final product will be amazing. :-) I'm so glad the people in your ward are so nice to you. That makes a big difference.

Grace is so funny. What a social butterfly she is! And her driving to dinner? So cute! I'd love to see a video of Kate running her walker around and squealing. :-)

Unknown said...

I know how you feel about the changes and the not loving it yet, but it looks like you are well on your way! Thank goodness for the church and having a built in network, it definitely makes life easier. Your kitchen looks great. We need to skype or google + hangout one of these days!

Val said...

My sister moved to Texas in the summer a few years ago. She says the weather is much more fun in other seasons. Just think, in a few months you can brag about going to the beach while all of us Utah people are covered in snow.

Carrie said...

You'll grow to love it more. however, I still have tearful meltdowns after I've visited family. That's so odd that everything is so expensive there. I always hear the opposite, but maybe that's only the housing:) Good luck.

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

You have got to be one of the bravest people I know. I don't think I'd ever leave my house! I'd be too worried about getting lost and not being able to find my way back home! You're planning a trip to Utah soon right? :)
Please get more done on your amazing house! I want to see decorated pictures! Oh...and the cabinets look beautiful. I can't wait to see it with the walls painted!

Diane said...

Love the cabinets! Makes me want to tackle ours. Did you use an oil based paint or something specific to cabinets?
Welldone@

Lisa said...

Love you girl!