Thursday, July 7, 2011

Keepin' Busy

This summer has been a pretty busy one. Winter felt super lonely and aimless, and now I have just a few months to cram in lots of activities and projects it seems, especially before a new baby! For starters, after 10 long months of being without a husband except on Sundays, it is nice to finally have Jason home. He's got a long honey-do list which I feel bad about because I know he really wants to put his time into the basement, so I've appreciated his efforts putting up ceiling fans, and helping me with my various home improvement projects. In fact, we spent most of the 4th of July weekend working on our list while it seemed the country partied around us. I was very grateful to my mother for letting Grace sleep over at her house to help us out.

Saturday I mixed up a funky, light, teal blue for the main wall, and Monday morning I took forever trying to come up with a complimentary color for the other walls. There were about 40 options on this one wall before I was convinced to go with a light grey! I was afraid to paint without ventilation because I'm pregnant, so it got up to 96 degrees in our house- it was HOT!!!

Jason has put about 7 hours into putting up ceiling fans. We found one on clearance at Walmart but hated the gold look and the ticking, so then we took it down and got a nicer white one at Home Depot.
But we had to climb into the attic rafters and dig up the right spot to secure the fan correctly. I always wondered what it looked like in the attic- a winter wonderland! But I know it was no picnic, sorry Jason!
This is the progress in all but the little storage room. Hopefully we'll be able to start mudding next week... hopefully! Anybody have a recommendation on where to find some good, reasonably priced carpet?
Grace is as wild as ever! Seriously, she has so much personality and attitude. She was so good at going to bed, and lately she's been fighting me constantly about going to sleep. It takes a couple hours, literally, and I know she's tired!!! So I'm pretty frustrated right now about how to keep her from getting up.

But we have our happy moments too! I've recently started babysitting a newborn boy, and a three year old. Grace loves to give the baby kisses and she wants to sit on the potty like her three year old friends do- but she doesn't quite grasp why they do it yet. Still, if she's showing some interest, I wonder if I should start potty training her now. We'll see. :-)

5 comments:

Allison said...

WOW! You do have a lot of projects going! I am impressed with your painting. I would be too scared to mix my own colors in case I ran out and couldn't make the same color combo again! We did the ceiling fan thing last year and I am amazed at the difference this summer. I am also impressed with your basement project... you have come a long way since that last time we saw pictures down there! Good work! I have no suggestions on the carpet other than to shop around and ask about remnants that might be enough to fit the space. We are waiting till next year for carpet in ours since we ran out of money for the project!

Carrie said...

Lots of projects! Cool!!! good luck finishing them in the time you want to.

Heidi said...

I'm so glad you posted! I always love to hear what you all are up to! You are so busy!
Is that blue and grey in the front room? Wow! Can't wait to see it!

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

Busy busy busy! I'm excited to come over and see what you've done! You're such an awesome woman...it inspires me :). I wish I could do home improvements like you! You just get in there and get it done.
I LOVE that picture of Grace on the rocking horse! Super cute :)
Hope all is well with you! I miss you!

Sass said...

fun, fun projects! I have been painting everything in my house too- I am glad to be done! :)
Ward's Carpets is a good place- they did our entire basement & we love it. ( they are right off I-15 and 9000s)