Wednesday, September 8, 2010

August Rush, really!







First off, STILL without internet. BOO!!! News wise...

The past couple weeks I have been literally campaigning throughout the neighborhood to appeal some decisions made by the HOA board that affect our property and area immensely. We felt the community was denied some important rights and not being represented properly by the board. Tonight was the big community meeting and although it was brutal, it was great to see a showing and that the democracy I was trying to bring about in our community really was wanted. And have since learned that I have a serious love/hate relationship with politics. One board member in particular was misconstruing facts and spreading lies about me so the personal attacks were emotionally hard on me.

At the same time, I learned that once again- I am basically going blind. NOW, due to an ulcer in my eye and some kind of disease I couldn't even pronounce. The good news was, probably due to the chemical burn in my right eye previously, we think it killed some infection(s) in that eye. However, we are still concerned about it. I have scarring that will be permanent in my left eye and am taking two medicines every hour now to bring swelling down so as not to cause more scarring (aka, blindness). I didn't even look anything up on the internet about my eye problems because I specifically didn't want to freak myself out anymore. I know- knowledge is power. But right now, I just need to nurture faith. Faith that the Lord has helped me through the previous eye scares and will continue to help me. Faith that I can live with His will if I'm really supposed to be blind.

As a result, I feel that my Father in Heaven is helping me to become an even more compassionate person. I look around and see the many trials and ailments of family members and friends- and remember we ALL get to go through these rough times. The trick is not to stay discouraged when it happens. There have been so many wonderful examples of faith that bring tears to my eyes and have helped me to be strong through everything the past couple weeks. I am so grateful for the scriptures that also bring the sweet peacefulness of the companionship of the Holy Ghost as I read them. It has been such a welcome needed presence. I understand the importance of our mortal bodies and the tribulations we go through, hard as they are- and am grateful for the divine plan our Father in Heaven has for us. I know that he loves us immensely!!! I am brought to my knees in tears, when I think of how frustrated I was to have eye problems again. Catherine had to go through cancer three times, suffering SOOOO much more than I- and she was so positive and sweet through it all!

On another note, today Grace and I visited the historic Wheeler Farm with some cousins and Grandma T. It was so picturesque! So here are some photos from that...





8 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad you're keeping such a good perspective. You truly are amazing! Thanks for being a great example and one of my heroes!

Allison said...

Wow. Sounds like you have had a lot on your plate recently! I am glad you got things sorted out with your HOA and hopefully your eye problems will not get any worse and continue to improve!

Julie said...

We're praying for you. Thanks for your testimony. You're a strong person and you've got lots of strong people and angels supporting you. Grace is sure getting big! We miss you guys lots!

Heather said...

Nice work with the community HOA issues! Keep it up and let me know if you need any more help. I admire you for how you are handling the eye issues and I pray that the outcome will be good!! Wheeler farm is awesome. I am sure Grace loved it.

Carrie said...

Ugh! I HATE HOAs. Sorry you had to deal with all that but I'm glad that you are ready and willing to take a stand. Good luck with your eyes. I guess I didn't even realize it was all that bad (although going back it's pretty obvious... I must have missed a few posts). I'm praying for you. Love ya and miss you.

Sam and Tanya said...

Oh Rachel, I'm so sorry to hear about your eyes, but glad you're in good spirits. Just so you know, I worked for a very prestigious optometrist in California who specializes eye injury and disease. If things ever get to that point where you need other options, let me know and I'll get you in contact with him.

Than & Lina said...

Nice work taking action with your HOA. I am sorry you have to deal with all this eye stuff along with everything else. I'm glad you are reading your scriptures; that is always going to help you. I hope things turn out well.

Brad said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles. I hope things start to improve for you guys. You're such a strong person, I know you'll make it through anything. You guys are always in my prayers! And I love to see your pictures. Thanks for sharing them!
-Lynette